Meldahl Hydroelectric Project
Universal was contracted as the General Trades Contractor for the Meldahl Hydroelectric Plant. Our scope of services in the power plant included masonry walls, HM Doors and frames, overhead doors, drywall partitions, acoustical ceilings, and all Division 10 specialties in the project. Adjacent to the power plant was a large recreation area to serve the public. Universal constructed the 1.5 mile long roadway, restroom building, picnic shelter, fishing pier, grouted walkways along the Ohio River for fishing access, pervious paver walkways and all site furnishings.
• Constructed a 160 ft. long fishing pier on piles over the Ohio River.
• Universal worked with the engineer to suggest constructibility and VE changes to the fishing pier. By incorporating offsite fabrication of the pier, the project benefited from reduced on-site erection time, cost savings and reduced safety hazards.
• Working along the Ohio River created challenges of changing water levels on a daily basis. Universal worked with the projected water levels to coordinate manpower and meet the required schedules.
- Client American Municipal Power
- Date April 7, 2017
- Tags Industrial, Projects